The Jerusalem Gate, Büdingen Medieval Walled Village, Wetteraukreis, Hesse, Germany
Copyright - All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
The Jerusalem Gate is the only survivor of the original 3 gates. The Tor and the Mausfall both date to 1503.
Büdingen is located 15 km northwest of Gelnhausen and about 40 km east from Frankfurt am Main in a wet and sometimes swampy valley. The castle and the old town were built on centuries-old oak planks, set up on beech props. Therefore the water level has to be kept relatively high so that no air can reach these foundations.
First mention of Büdingen in the historical record was that in around 700 the wooden church of Saint Remigius was built by an unknown lord. An additional level was added to St. Remigius's church in about 1050 and the building has basically remained unchanged since then.
After a local war, Graf Ludwig II built an enormous new defensive wall with 22 towers around the old stronghold between 1480 and 1510. These walls are still incomplete and are one of the most important medieval strongholds in Germany.
For an interesting overview of Büdingen watch this U Tube video - A Day Out in Büdingen