Bunbury Lighthouse (Formerly Marlston Hill Lighthouse) Relocated to Casuarina Point, Bunbury, Western Australia
© All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
S 33° 19.149 E 115° 37.982
1870 - The original square wooden light (lighthouse) was built 370 Metres south of Casuarina Point - (Site of present day Marlston Hill Rotary Lookout Tower.)
1903 - A 9m steel-structured lighthouse was built, 37m above sea level. Light visible for 17 miles (27km)
1959 - The Lighthouse (Marlston Hill site) height is extended by 20 feet (6m) due to poor visibility by ships. Surrounding development in the Port area made discernment of the light almost impossible.
1971 - The original head was placed on a new Lighthouse structure located closer to the ocean beach (Casuarina Point).
It was painted in a quite distinct black and white chequered pattern. Total height of structure: 27.43m
2000 - Bicentenial Marlston Hill Rotary Lookout Tower, built at a cost of $150,000, opened on the site of original Bunbury lighthouse site.
2004 Telstra contoversially proposes to add telecommunications infrastructure to the top of Bunbury's Cassurina Point Lighthouse. Community outrage was understandable and to date the Telecommunications equipment has not been installed.