Langley Covered Bridge, Centreville, Michigan
Langely Covered Bridge - This is the longest of Michigan's few remaining covered bridges. It is 282 feet long with three, 94-foot spans of the Howe-truss construction. The bridge was built in 1887 by Pierce (?) Bodner of Parkville, using the best quality white pine for the frame timbers. The bridge's name honors a pioneer Centreville family. When the Sturgis Dam was built in 1910, the Langley Bridge had to be raised eight feet. In 1950-51 extensive repairs and replacement of parts on the bridge were carried out by the St. Joseph County Road Commission to preserve for the future this historic link with a bygone era.
Michigan Registered Historic Site
Personal note - the bridge is only one lane wide. Drivers take turns crossing the bridge, but this is a part of Michigan that doesn't see much traffic anyway, so the wait is seldom long. The speed limit on the bridge is 15 mph.