South Bank Lion
The South Bank Lion, on the South Bank end of Westminster Bridge, outside of Westminster County Hall.
This thirteen-ton Lion is one of the last-known products to be made of Coade Stone, a hard-wearing material produced by a mother-and-daughter factory on the South Bank. Founded in 1769, Eleanor Coade’s stone ornaments were a major feature on the buildings of Georgian London. The Lion was commissioned for the South Bank’s Red Lion Brewery where, painted red, it stood on the roof for over a century. When the bomb-damaged Brewery was demolished in 1951 to build the Royal Festival Hall, the Lion was spared at the behest of George VI and moved, first to the entrance of Waterloo Station and then to its present location in 1966.