The White House (Washington DC)
What was once known as the "President's Palace", "Presidential Mansion", or "President's House" was built between 1792 and 1800. Its design was partly inspired by the Irish house of parliament called the Leinster House. There are two stories on how it got its present name: from the white paint that was applied during its rebuilding after the British burned down Washington DC during the War of 1812, or from the Washingtons' White House Plantation in Virginia. All American presidents have stayed at the White House except George Washington.
Nikon D40 (US International Visitors' Program, August 2008)
This photo is in 1 album
- USA 282 photos