Finn Slough via Steveston - Finn Slough Heritage Area IMG_8641_2_3_Enhancer
There are no individual significant buildings as such in Finn Slough. The importance of the built form in this area stems from the cluster arrangement of the structures, their history as a group, and their development over time. There are no exact dates available for the construction of the individual homes, only that the majority of them were built between the first settlement of the area and approximately 1940. New additions have continued the pattern of incremental development and have retained the overall vernacular character of the buildings.
Overall built form:
The site has a linear boardwalk spine on Whitworth Island, with houses on either side connected to the boardwalk by gangplanks. The buildings can be accessed by boat from the river or on foot by a wooden footbridge from the dyke to the boardwalk. Buildings on the north side are accessed from Dyke Road. The majority of the buildings are one or two storey wood frame dwellings and fishery-related buildings with fairly steep pitched gable roofs. Many of them are on stilts. They have evolved from the early “scow houses” which were rectangular structures on floating barges, and used as dwellings by local fishermen.
Although the structures at Finn Slough are rough and vernacular in nature, they still demonstrate a degree of aesthetic quality through a consistent massing and scale of buildings, their clustering along the slough and along a central corridor, and through a rhythm of rooflines, dock structures, and hydro poles. As well, there is a consistency in building materials, and in the muted natural colours of the buildings and the landscape which makes the area particularly attractive.