The Medieval Bishop's Palace, which was originally constructed in 1163 by Bishop Robert de Chesney before being almost completely rebuilt by by Bishop Hugh of Avalon between 1186-1200. The palace was damaged during Lincolnshire Rising of 1536 but rapidly repaired by Bishop William Smith. During the English Civil War it was used as a prison.
In 1652 the Palace was sold to Col James Berry and converted into a private residence, while the lodgings continued to be used much of the other buildings fell into disrepair. In 1838 conservation work was carried out by Charles Mainwaring adding stables a coach house and rebuilding gatehouses.
The palace returned to Diocese under Bishop Kay in 1841 with restoration work being carried out to Alnwick Tower, Edward King House and the chapel over the following half a decade.
It was last used as bishop’s residence in 1948, then becoming partly diocesan offices, conference and retreat centre, The Old Palace Hotel and the ownership of the ruins passing to English Heritage.