At one time nine windmills stood along the west face of Mill Road over the steep slopes of the Lincoln Edge, these days only Ellis Windmill which was built in 1798 remains. The Mill remained fully operational until it fell into receivership in 1973 and in 1974 a fire destroyed all of the remaining woodwork. In 1977 the Lincoln Civic Trust acquired the mill and began its reconstruction. A cap mechanism was acquired from ‘Subscription Mill’ in Sturton-by-Stow and the stones and drives from ‘Eno’s Mill’ at Toynton-all-Saints and the sails and fantail were made by Thompson and Co from Alford. The reconstruction was completed in 1980 and it remains a working mill producing flour and is open to the public on Saturday afternoons.