Durbar Court - Foreign Office - Westminster
Artizen HDR Natural
Durbar Court, at the heart of the India Office, is the masterpiece of Matthew Digby Wyatt. Originally open to the sky, the four sides of the court are surrounded by three storeys of columns and piers supporting arches. The ground floor Doric and first floor Ionic columns are of polished red Peterhead granite, while the top floor Corinthian columns are of grey Aberdeen granite. The pavement is of Greek, Sicilian and Belgian marble. The court was first used in 1867 for a reception for the Sultan of Turkey. The name ‘Durbar Court’ dates only from 1902 when some of the coronation celebrations of King Edward VII were held there.