new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Felling Colliery Banner | by Beamish Museum
Back to photostream

The Felling Colliery Banner

Two hundred years ago on 25 May 1812 at 11:30am 92 men and boys, died in an explosion at John Pit in the Felling, Gateshead. This was a major mining tragedy in the community and a disaster of great historical importance, as it brought about the design of a number of miners’ safety lamps.

    

To mark this event, the Felling Activity Project Group – led by community members - is planning a range of events and activities that will culminate in a two day event on May 25th and 26th.

    

Read more on our website

 

Photograph Courtesy of Colin Slater, one of the Friends of Beamish.

1,295 views
1 fave
2 comments
Taken on May 30, 2012