Gardiki in Corfu is a low foothill of the Agios Matheos mountain range on which stands the ruined Byzantine fortress. It was built as part of a ring of fortifications around the island, of which today only this one, Angelokastro and Cassiopi remain.
Gardiki Castle was constructed in the 13th century by the Despote of Epirus, Michael Angelos II, who also built Angelokastro. The fortress is octagonal in shape and it has got a tower in every corner. What is particularly interesting here is the relics of ancient temples, which are embedded in its fortifications. The bordering parapets were adorned with traditional Byzantine artworks. The vestiges that one can see on the right hand side of the main entrance are believed to belong to the in-house chapel.
It is not known when and why the castle was abandoned, but certainly in the 16th century after Barbarossa's attack (1537) it was already deserted.