Stourhead House, Wiltshire
Stourhead is a 2,650-acre estate at the source of the River Stour near Mere in Wiltshire. The estate includes this Palladian mansion, the village of Stourton, gardens, farmland, and woodland. Stourhead has been part owned by the National Trust since 1946.
The Stourton family had lived at the Stourhead estate for 500 years until they sold it to Sir Thomas Meres in 1714. His son, John Meres, sold it in 1717 to Henry Hoare, son of wealthy banker Sir Richard Hoare. The original manor house was demolished and this new house, one of the first of its kind, was designed by Colen Campbell and built by Nathaniel Ireson between 1721 and 1725. In 1902, the house was gutted by fire but many of the heirlooms were saved, and the house was rebuilt in a nearly identical style.