new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Ethanol Schmethanol | by Sebastian Hughes
Back to photostream

Ethanol Schmethanol

The Oxford University professor had been in the habit of drinking laboratory ethanol until he unwittingly poured his last drink from a bottle of methanol. According to Usenet scientists, methanol is a common lab solvent that looks and smells like ethanol but is "five times as toxic and five times less intoxicating." Those who drink it invariably drink too much.

 

"By the time methanol symptoms are recognized, treatment, including kidney dialysis, may be too late." The 44-year-old professor of Ecology was said to have had poor vision, and probably misread the label.

344 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on April 29, 2010