St James' Church, Piccadilly
St James Church in Piccadilly, London, was built in the area known as St James by Christopher Wren and was consecrated in 1684. As a new build on a former greenfield site it was not one of Wren's churches which replaced a victim of the Great Fire.
Various rectors went on to become Archbishops of Canterbury including Dr Tenison and Dr Wake. The church became popular with the fashionable set as well as abolitionists campaigning against slavery and former slaves themselves. The church was badly damaged by Luftwaffe bombing on the night of October 14, 1940, which resulted in the loss of most of the roof. The steeple also came down but the font and reredos had been protected against damage and survived.
Services resumed in the remains of the south aisle in 1941 but the church was not restored until 1954.
The building is plain brick with dressings of Portland Stone and was reckoned by Wren to be his most capacious design, capable of accommodating up to 2,000 people.