Guns at Tilbury Fort
Above: the breech of the 12-pounder 12cwt Mark V gun on the gunline facing the Thames. It was manufactured in 1942.
Tilbury Fort is an English Heritage site on the north shore of the River Thames. The fort we see today was laid out in the 17th century as a 'star' fort on the site of an earlier Henry VIII blockhouse.
In its history it has been a PoW camp for Highlanders captured at Culloden and was once commanded by Gordon of Khartoum. Gordon was responsible for the Victorian re-modelling. It has also featured in an episode of 'Sharpe'.