Sankt Petri Kyrka, Klippan
Architect: Sigurd Lewerentz (1885-1975),
Built in 1966
The building has no arched windows. The window-glasses are directly mounted on the outside of the wall with brackets, which gives a feeling of missing windows when looking from the inside.
The architect, Doctor of Technology, Sigurd Lewerentz (1885-1975) was 77 years old when he was asked to create St. Petri church. He had behind him, in addition to studies at Chalmers’ university, many years of collected experience, which he could now draw on. Full of life, knowledgeable, independent of all architectural traditions and styles he set about his task. He concentrated all his artistic passion on this task. What he created is not a product of a drawing-board. The placing of every brick is determined directly by him on the spot or indirectly by the instructions he gave to the artisans. The watchful eye of the architect constantly followed the work on the site.
The church was consecrated on 27th of November, 1966 by Bishop Martin Lindström. The nave is built according to “circumstantes”, the idea of the central place of worship. The area is quadratic, 18 x 18 meter. The height is 6 meter in the east and 5 meter in the west. The nave rests on and is built around a cross of iron (the T-cross or the Antonius-cross). The cross should be essential in the preaching and activity of the church as well as in human life. The ceiling is formed as archs and is a symbol of human spirit life as a waving movement. The building has no arched windows. The window-glasses are directly mounted on the outside of the wall with brackets, which gives a feeling of missing windows. All electric wiring and water pipes are mounted directly on the walls – nothing should be hidden into the church. The middle aisle corresponds to the holy way (via sacra) of old days which leads to the Holy Communion table. The walls are built up with the dark-brown brick from Helsingborg, which is made by hand craft as well as machine-made. No bricks are adjusted to suit – man is good enough to be used by God even if she is “odd, rough or not adjusted to suit”. The bricks are partly picked by the architect Lewerentz himself from a scrap-yard. Even human beings, who by others are considered as “scrap”, are suitable for the Lord. The daylight and the illumination are sparse. Too much natural light disturbs the full feeling according to the architect. Therefore the lamps must be lightened during service. Architect Lewerentz wanted to create a soft and warm surrounding with quiet and devotion. While sitting for a while in the church the details are coming forward. The chairs are from Denmark and originally designed for the Grundtvig-church (1940) in Copenhagen. Portable chairs in churches are an old tradition and give the opportunity to rearrange the furniture.
Source: Leaflet – Sankt Petri Church in Klippan – A Masterpiece by Sigurd Lewerentz
The church was renovated between the years 1979-1981 under the direction of architect Bengt Edman and the church copper roof has been changed during 2011.
More pictures of Sigurd Lewerentz’ work
Images of other architects' works
More information at the St. Petri web page