Dr. John Allan Wyeth Statue and Monument (Montgomery, Al.)
Born and educated in Marshall County, Alabama, Wyeth joined the Confederate Army at the age of 17 and took part in several battles. After the war he graduated from a two-year medical college. He went to New York to further his education but found there were no special courses available for medical graduates. In 1881 he opened the Polyclinic. The clinic provided, for the first time in America systematic postgraduate instruction under specialist in a shcool connected with a general hospital and laboratory facilities. Wyeth served the institution for the remainder of his life, first as surgeon-in-chief, and later, as president.
Wyeth was highly honored for his operating techniques and he served as president of both the American Medical Assoiciation and the New York Academy of Medicine.