Grave Marker at St. Luke's Anglican Church
St. Luke's is a Registered Heritage Structure with a long history. The current church was built between 1906 and 1908 on the site of the oldest Catholic church in Newfoundland and is successor to an 18th century Anglican Church, When Prince William Henry, later King William IV, was stationed in Placentia in 1786, he gave money to build the old St. Luke's and presented the church with a silver communion service and a Coat of Arms. The Service is now housed at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in St. John's, but the Coat of Arms still hangs in the church.Now removed for preservation, there were once a number of 17th-century Basque tombstones in the graveyard that surrounded the church. Placentia is celebrating its 350th anniversary! The early French settlers called the town "Plaisance" - "the pleasant place".
Placentia, Newfoundland and Labrador