The Wagyu Beef Pie looked and smelt the part when it arrived, and tasted pretty good. Still, Wagyu is typically eaten for the marbled fat in the meat which should make it moist, which this, while meltingly tender was not. In fact, it was a little dry. I would have prefered some more gravy.
Since there were three of us, we decided to go for the AUD25 lunch special with entree, main and dessert. The Chicken and Chorizo Terrine was a good starter with moist chunks of lean chicken and hunks of chorizo wrapped a good slightly smoked bacon. The best part was the pockets of savoury jelly outside.
The duck leg confit was a good duck and not too salty, but again, a bit dry. The kipfler potato salad was nice, but I would have prefered then warm with a drizzle of fruity olive oil and garlic.
Once the savouries were out of the way, there was a 10 minute wait while the kitchen prepared our chocolate fondant. This was worth waiting for! Rich chocolate sponge oozing with a chocolate "sauce" from the centre served with a smooth vanilla bean ice cream.
We also had a couple of slices of the Vue de Monde smoked salmon. Nice and fresh and very moist, but not much smokiness.
I think we'll be back for more... perhaps the Wagyu burger with olive oil fries next time!
Jones the Grocer, Chadstone
Shop F032 Chadstone Shopping Centre, Chadstone VIC 3148
tel: 03 9530 4823 fax: 03 9530 9053
MON-WED 9am - 5:30pm
THUR-FRI 9am - 9pm
SAT 9am - 5pm
SUN 10am- 5pm
Jones the Grocer - Chadstone - www.jonesthegrocer.com/
- Cakes and pastries
- Shared table
- Number 21
- Vue de Monde Smoked Salmon by Shannon Bennett, AUD65 per kg
- Wagyu Beef Pie - AUD8
- Insides - Wagyu Beef Pie
- Chicken and Chorizo Terrine with Jones' Fruit Chutney - AUD10, part of the 3-course AUD25 set menu.
- Duck Leg Confit with Kipfler Potato Salad and jus gras - AUD15, or part of the 3-course AUD25 set menu.
- Chocolate Fondant with Jones' Vanilla Bean Ice-Cream - baked to order - AUD10, or part of the 3-course AUD25 set menu.
- Insides - Chocolate Fondant with Jones' Vanilla Bean Ice-Cream - baked to order - AUD10, or part of the 3-course AUD25 set menu.
- Caffe Latte - AUD3 + AUD0.50 for soy milk