The gravestone of Edward Avison has recently been uncovered by Rev Terry Hurst during his research into Newcastle’s early Methodist history. Edward, the eldest surviving son of Charles Avison, and his wife Margaret were personally known to John Wesley and Edward was a trustee of the Methodist Orphan House on Northumberland Street. They were married in St Andrew’s Church on Newgate Street, but both dying at a young age they were buried in the churchyard in a grave adjacent to Charles Avison’s.
The carved gravestone epitaph reads:
“In memory of Edward Avison and Margaret his wife who were eminent for piety and primitive simplicity of manners, having each borne a lingering disease with the most exemplary patience and resignation, they rejoiced at the approach of death and expired with hope full of immortality. He died on October 1776 aged 29. She in November 1777 aged 33”.
The Avison Ensemble is the outstanding period instrument orchestra based in Newcastle upon Tyne, which plays and popularises the music of Charles Avison (1709-1770) and other English classical composers of the Baroque period, such as Garth, Arne and Herschel. The Ensemble also performs Purcell, Handel, Vivaldi, Corelli, Geminiani, Pergolesi, Teleman, Rameau, Bach, Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven.