Paynesville Cemetery, Western Australia
Paynesville Cemetery is located approximately 77km East of Mount Magnet. There are only five burials in the cemetery and one headstone.
Gold was discovered in this area in early 1898 by Tom Payne and Arthur Waldeck, and by April 1898 the place had been inspected by a surveyor and a plan of subdivision prepared. It was at first referred to as ‘Paynton’, and ‘East Mount Magnet’ and some records record the locality as “Fords” after another prospector.
By April 1899 local prospectors were using the name Paynesville, and it was with this name that the townsite was gazetted in 1900. It is believed to be named after Tom Payne. The railway from Mount Magnet to Black Range, passing through Paynesville, was opened in 1910.