The Great Gate - Hampton Court Palace - UK2016-148
Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the borough of Richmond upon Thames, south-west and upstream of central London on the River Thames. The building of the palace began in 1515 for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the cardinal gave the palace to the King to check his disgrace; Henry VIII later enlarged it. Along with St James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by King Henry VIII.