Strömfors Ironworks was established near Loviisa in 1698. Today the area is a tourist centrum.
For 200 years ago there was an "ironlady" in Strömfors. When her husband died on April 13, 1790 the young widow Virginia af Forselles inherited the ironworks and went on to run the business for over fifty troubled and difficult years. Most of the buildings in the area today are from her time.