Buffalo, NY Statler Hotel former main dining room
The first Statler Hotel had 300 rooms and bathrooms and was constructed in 1908; it was located on the corner of Washington and Swan in downtown Buffalo. With Ellsworth Statler's original Statler Hotel, he created the Statler Plumbing Shaft wherein bathrooms backed up to a service shaft that contained the plumbing stack. Statler was the first major hotel chain to have a bathroom in every room.
This is Statler's second hotel in Buffalo. It was completed in 1923 and was designed by George B. Post. It had 1,100 rooms (more than all of the other hotels in Buffalo combined). Part of it was converted to offices in 1948 and it formally closed as a hotel in 1982. It is still not open as a hotel, but the ballrooms and lobby are undergoing renovation for rental.