Convent, LA Jefferson College (Manresa House of Retreats) ~ oblique 1937
The Jefferson College was founded in 1831 to educate the sons of the plantation owners along the Mississippi River. The President's House and the gate houses date from 1836 while the Main Building dates to 1842. The college failed in 1848. In 1864 Valcour Aime, the owner of the property, transferred Jefferson College to Marist Fathers and they reestablished the college as St. Mary’s Jefferson College. St. Mary’s Jefferson College operated until 1927. In 1931 the Jesuit Fathers of New Orleans purchased Jefferson College and it was renamed Manresa House of Retreats.
The Jefferson College is on the National Register #85000162.