Los Angeles, CA Bullock's Department Store
Bullock's Department Store was founded in 1907 at Broadway and Seventh by John G. Bullock. Interestingly he had worked at the Broadway up the street and opened this store with the support of the Broadway Department Store owner Arthur Letts. Bullock's became one of the dominant chains in Southern California. It was acquired by Federated Department Stores in 1964 and was sold to Macy's in 1988. Federated acquired it again in 1993, after Macy's filed for bankruptcy. In 1996, Federated bought the Broadway chain and merged everything and renamed everything Macy's.
Bullock's is an example of how a department store grew by accretion. This was their first building constructed in 1907 and designed by John Parkinson. They slowly took over the entire southern half of this block by acquiring and absorbind other buildings (such as the B.H. Dyas Department Store). Bullock's left this building in anticipation of their new store in the Citicorp Plaza (now 7+Fig at Ernst & Young Plaza). This building is still in use today as the St. Vincent's Jewelry Center, and believe it or not this portion was transformed into a parking garage!
In the Broadway Theater and Commercial District, National Register #79000484