Khövsgöl Nuur (Lake Khovsgol) is Mongolia's most spectacular alpine lake, surrounded by mountains and Siberian forests. It is a pristine and has only a few visitors over the year as it is very difficult to get to. You have to take a flight from Ulaanbaatar to the town of Murun from where it is a 4 hour drive on virtually no road. This is a back breaking journey, but the scenery is worth every bump along the way.
- It's over 2 million years old.
- Deepest lake in Mongolia (262m deep)
- Contains 2% of the worlds fresh water (380,700 billion liters).
- 2nd largest lake in Mongolia (2760 sq km)
- 136km long and freezes in winter allowing heavy trucks to drive across it as a shortcut!
Another angle here.
Nothing can prepare you for Mongolia. Not even your imagination. Come here to experience the unexpected, the unseen and the unreal. You don't know what you're missing till you get into the middle of it. Check out the whole set - Mesmerizing Mongolia.