Bell 47-J-2 Ranger - Helicopter
On March 8th, 1946 the Bell Helicopter Company was awarded the world’s first commercial helicopter construction license. The first commercial helicopter was the Bell 47, with the initial delivery on Dec. 13th, 1946. Production and development continued until 1974 with 24 different versions being constructed.
In 1956 the J-model was introduced, which was Bell’s first 4-place helicopter. This version was also unlike the other versions in that it had a monocoque tail boom. In 1960 a growth version was introduced, the 47-J-2 Ranger featured more horsepower, fixed elevator, and metal rotor blades. In 1966 the J-series was discontinued with the introduction of the “Jet Ranger” with a five-place configuration and turbine power was replacing the reciprocating powered helicopter.
ACAM’s Bell 47-J-2:
The Museum’s Bell 47-J-2, serial # 1827 registration CF-PQZ, was imported into Canada by the Department of Transportation and Communication of the Province of Quebec. It was later sold to Viking Helicopters of Ottawa, Ontario. After many years of service with Viking Helicopters the N.B. Community Collage acquired it for training purposes. Eventually it was donated to the Museum for preservation. Although some of this Ranger's history is unknown, it is believed to have been last used in Quebec with the Quebec forest service. We do know that this aircraft rescued F/O Grodin after he was accidentally ejected from his CF-100 on November 7, 1962. The Museum also owns his CF-100 Mk V (118747).
This Helicopter is being restored to present serial # 1839 registration CF-CAF, which was a Canadian Coast Guard machine based in the Atlantic region during the types service with the Coast Guard.
The Bell 47-J series saw limited use in the Atlantic Provinces. A Bell 47-J was operated by E.P.A. in the late 1950’s and the Canadian Coast Guard operated Bell 47-J, Bell 47-J-2, and Bell 47-J-2-A models in the region.