Cook Island Stamps
On 4 August 1965 the Cook Islands territory achieved self-governance in free association with New Zealand.
New Zealand’s formal ties with the Cook Islands began as a result of a petition it had induced some local chiefs to present. In 1901 the Federal Parliament of the Cooks was abolished. The islands were now governed by a Resident Commissioner sent to Rarotonga by the New Zealand government. This ended after the Legislative Assembly declared its intention to achieve internal self-government in 1962, leading to the New Zealand’s Cook Islands Constitution Act 1964.
The images above are photographs of four stamps created for the occasion, and show the New Zealand flag and map; the London Missionary Society church; the 1900 proclamation of Cession; and Nikao School. They come from the 'Former Post and Telegraph/Telecom Museum Holdings', Series 8106. Also reproduced in the series is a swag of other stamps from the 19th and 20th centuries.
Archives Reference: AAME W5603 8106 Box 102 9/12/275 -9/12/278
Material from Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga