Auckland Province - Tolaga Bay Publicity Caption: "Hole in the Wall", Cooks Cove, Tolaga Bay.
Tolaga Bay is a place of historical significance; named by Captain Cook when he first visited on 22 October 1769 in what is likely to be a corruption of the Māori words "teraki" or "tarakaka" which refer to the local southwesterly winds, rather than the place itself. Many locals now however, call the place by the original Māori name Ūawa, which refers to both the bay itself, and to one of the rivers which flow into it.
Inhabited for many centuries before Cook’s visit, the local iwi Te Aitanga-a-Hauiti, made use of the rich coastal lands in the area and the excellent kaimoana in the bay. Many cultivation areas and pā sites are visible today.
For many years after Cook’s visit the small town was only accessible by boat and has the second longest wharf in the country due to the shallowness of the bay. Cook’s Cove, where Captain Cook dropped anchor in 1769 is located about 3km east of Tolaga Bay town, making it a popular holiday spot for both sun seekers and history buffs.
Archives Reference: R24748041 AAQT 6539 W3537 95 /A9053