War artist George Edmund Butler painted this evocative scene of the French village of Crevecoeur on 10 October 1918.
The town had been captured by the 1st New Zealand Infantry Brigade on 1 October which gave the Allies a strategic foothold across the Scheldt Canal. From there they moved to the walled city of Le Quesnoy which they captured on 4 November after scaling the walls with a ladder. This was the New Zealand Division’s last significant action of the war. The armistice was signed with Germany on 11 November 1918
Shown here is Butler’s painting of Crevecoeur which was misspelled as Crevecourt.
AAAC 898/311 NCWA 482
More information can be found here:
For updates on our On This Day series and news from Archives New Zealand, follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/ArchivesNZ
Material supplied by Archives New Zealand.