Te Puea Memorial Hall, Mangere
Te Puea Marae, Māngere Bridge was opened on 13 November 1965. It was an early urban marae, named for Te Puea Hērangi (1883-1952), granddaughter of King Tāwhiao. She was known for caring for the people and getting work done, “mahia te mahi”, just as Te Puea Marae has become known for caring for homeless people in recent years - one of their many community projects: manāki tangata.
In 1933, Te Paea Rewha of the Māori Womens Welfare League donated an acre of land on Miro Street, Māngere Bridge for a marae and meeting house reserve. Mere Newton of Onehunga, a JP and founder of the Tāmaki Māori Women’s Welfare League, left £5,000 for the marae to be built, and this was matched by a government subsidy. A surplus lands consideration of £4,155 was added, and the Tainui Trust Board contributed £1,500. The Māori Purposes Fund provided £1,000 and community fundraising added another £1,000 and more to the resources.
The official programme for the opening ceremony [see BBCZ 4410/13/b] describes the area of “one acre, completely enclosed by a ponga pallisade… with entry through an arched gateway” with buildings including “a completely carved meeting house, dining hall”, kitchens, and lawns, gardens and native shrubs. The opening was conducted by the Governor-General Sir Bernard Fergusson.
This concept drawing, dated 1962, is part of a set of building plans for the marae. It is held at our Auckland Regional Office - BANC 4412/F5/87.