Mangatawhiri School - Centennial Booklet
On 15 April 1978 Mangatawhiri School, south of Auckland, celebrated its centennial. In 1878 the school was first opened, using a local homestead to tutor 12 pupils. Then the increase in local population led to a purpose-built school on an acre of land, which included a horse paddock and playground. Mangatawhiri is a farming district east of Pokeno.
At first a sole teacher school, this changed in 1916 with the employment of an assistant teacher. In 1925 the school was hauled by traction engine to its present site. A new building replaced it in 1962.
The centennial booklet, pictured here, contains historical information, stories and pictures from past and present, and comments from some of the pupils in 1978, some of which are shown here. One pupil provided this comment “Skateboarding - Here at Mangatawhiri we have at least 30 skateboarders. We have a very bad time in the summer, the Band Aid supply goes down and so does school attendance.”
This Auckland Education Board subject file is held at Auckland Regional Office
Archives New Zealand Reference: YCBD 5023 A688/2095/d - School History - Mangatawhiri 1966-1978
For further enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org
Material from Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga