He mea i tāia | Printed sheet, Te Tiriti o Waitangi
This Waikato copy is the only surviving printed copy of te Tiriti o Waitangi with signatures (the other sheets are written in longhand). It was one of 200 copies of the Māori text printed in Paihia on 17 February 1840 by CMS printer, William Colenso. The dates of when this was signed are unknown, but it is most likely an adjunct to the Waikato-Manukau sheet (which is in English) that missionary Robert Maunsell received and was signed in late March or early April 1840.
Maunsell witnessed all five names on the sheet. The chiefs, from Ngāti Pou on the Waikato River and Ngāti Te Wehi at Raglan, may have been visiting Maunsell's station at the mouth of the Waikato River.
Archives Reference: IA9/9 Sheet 4
This sheet, along with the 8 other Tiriti o Waitangi sheets, He Whakaputanga and the Women's Suffrage Petition, are now on display at the National Library: natlib.govt.nz/he-tohu
You can view the names of those who signed, as well as an interactive map, at the NZ History website ‘Making the Treaty’ page:
This record is part of #Waitangi175, celebrating 175 years since the signing of of te Tiriti o Waitangi. You can see other real time tweets on Twitter (twitter.com/ArchivesNZ), or explore the Waitangi 175 album here on Flickr.
Caption information from New Zealand History
Material from Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Guidelines on re-using this image:
• images of the Treaty of Waitangi will be used in context, ie, where it is reasonably clear that the images cannot be mistaken for another document
• images will be of sufficient size to be recognised as the Treaty of Waitangi
• portions of the Treaty of Waitangi can be used for stylistic effect, but any portion so used will not include Māori signatories
• other text or images will not be used over an image of the Treaty of Waitangi, nor will the Treaty be used over other text or images, and
• images of the Treaty of Waitangi should always be used appropriately, ie, not for advertising endorsements or commercial purposes.