new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

Basílica de Santo Ambrósio e São Carlos, Roma

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Francisco Aragão © 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Use without permission is illegal.

 

Attention please !

If you are interested in my photos, they are available for sale. Please contact me by email: aragaofrancisco@gmail.com. Do not use without permission.

Many images are available for license on Getty Images

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

 

Portuguese

A Basílica de Santo Ambrósio e São Carlos (em italiano: Basilica dei Santi Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso, mais conhecida como San Carlo al Corso), é uma basílica menor de Roma, na Itália, localizada na Via del Corso. É dedicada a Santo Ambrósio e São Carlos Borromeu.

A construção foi iniciada na ocasião da canonização de São Carlos Borromeu (1610), sob a direção de Onorio Longhi e, após sua morte, de seu filho Martino Longhi. A cúpula foi projetada por Pietro da Cortona (1668), que também foi responsável pela abside e a rica decoração interna. A fachada foi desenhada pelo cardeal Luigi Alessandro Omodei, que não gostou do projeto elaborado por Carlo Rainaldi.

O plano interno é em cruz latina. A abóbada central tem afrescos com uma Queda dos Anjos Rebeldes(1677-1679) de Giacinto Brandi. O retábulo, representando os santos Ambrósio e Carlos, foi pintado por volta de 1685-1690 por Carlo Maratta. No ambulatório encontra-se um nicho onde um relicário contém o coração de São Carlos. Foi doado à igreja em 1614 pelo cardeal Federico Borromeo, um primo do santo. A segunda capela do lado direito é dedicada a Maria, auxílio dos cristãos, com uma imagem da Virgem doada por São Vicente Pallotti no século XIX. A terceira capela à direita é dedicada à Sagrada Família. No lado esquerdo, uma representação do Redentor e Santos Ambrósio e Carlos, assim como um monumento sepulcral de Federico Borromeo.

 

English

Sant'Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso (usually known simply as San Carlo al Corso) is a basilica church in Rome, Italy, facing onto the central part of the Via del Corso. It is dedicated to Saint Ambrose of Milan and Saint Charles Borromeo, also a native of that city. It is one of at least three churches in Rome dedicated to Borromeo, others include San Carlo ai Catinari and San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane.

Its construction was begun in honour of the canonization of St. Charles Borromeo in 1610, under the direction of Onorio Longhi and, after his death, of his son Martino Longhi the Younger. The site was that of the former church of San Nicola de Tofo. The ground plan is based on the Latin cross. The dome, resembling that of Santi Luca e Martina, was designed by Pietro da Cortona (1668), who was also responsible for the apse and rich internal decorations. The façade was designed by Cardinal Luigi Alessandro Omodei, who did not like the project prepared by Carlo Rainaldi.

The central vault is frescoed with a Fall of the Rebel Angels (1677–1679) by Giacinto Brandi. The altarpiece, depicting the Saints Ambrose and Charles, was painted around 1685-1690 by Carlo Maratta.

In the ambulatory behind the sanctuary, is a niche where a reliquary containing the heart of St Charles is kept. It was donated to the church in 1614 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, a cousin of the saint.

The 16th century oratory of St. Ambrose is beyond the left transept.

The second chapel on the right is dedicated to Mary, Aid of Christians (Maria Auxilium Christianorum) has an image of the Virgin donated by St Vincent Pallotti in the 19th century.

The third chapel on the right is dedicated to the Holy Family. On the left side of it is a depiction of The Redemptor and Sts Ambrose and Charles as well as the sepulchral monument of Federico Borromeo.

On the exterior, to the sides of the apse and facing the ancient Mausoleum of Augustus, are two giant statues of the titular saints, amongst the largest in Rome.

 

Wikipedia

8,926 views
21 faves
34 comments
Taken on August 30, 2010