new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Pythian Temple - 135 West 70th Street, New York, NY | by Anomalous_A
Back to photostream

Pythian Temple - 135 West 70th Street, New York, NY

Transcription of plaque on the building:

PYTHIAN TEMPLE

 

THE PYTHIAN TEMPLE WAS BUILT IN 1926 TO SERVE AS A LODGE FOR THE ORDER OF KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS, A BENEVOLENT FRATERNAL ORGANIZATION FOUNDED DURING THE CIVIL WAR. THOMAS W. LAMB, WHO WAS RENOWNED FOR HIS OPULENT MOVIE PALACES, DESIGNED THE ART DECO STRUCTURE USING A COMBINATION OF EGYPTIAN, BABYLONIAN AND ASSYRIAN MOTIFS.

 

ABOUT 150 FEET TALL, IT WAS CONSTRUCTED MOSTLY IN BUFF BRICK AND TERRA COTTA. THE GROUND FLOOR COLONNADE, WITH ASSYRIAN-TYPE HEADS, IS CENTERED ON A BRILLIANTLY GLAZED BLUE TERRA COTTA ENTRY PAVILION. THE MIDDLE SECTION STEPS BACK AT ABOUT 100 FEET UP, WITH FOUR SEATED PHARAONIC FIGURES SIMILAR TO THOSE OF RAMSES II AT ABU SIMBEL. TWO MORE SETBACKS RISE TO A HIGHLY COLORED EGYPTIAN STYLE COLONNADE, AND TWO GIANT URNS CARRIED BY TEAMS OF YELLOW, RED AND GREEN OXEN.

 

THE INTERIOR CONTAINED A DOUBLE HEIGHT LOBBY DECORATED WITH BLACK MARBLE IN THE EGYPTIAN STYLE. ON THE SECOND FLOOR WAS THE 1600 SEAT COLUMNLESS AUDITORIUM WITH A STAGE AND BALCONY. A SERIES OF FIFTEEN LODGE ROOMS, DINING FACILITIES, BILLIARDS, BOWLING ALLEYS AND GYMNASIUM WERE AMONG OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS PROVIDED INSIDE.

 

IN 1982 THE PYTHIAN TEMPLE WAS TRANSFORMED INTO CONDOMINIUMS, WINNING THE RESIDENTIAL DESIGN AWARD FROM THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS FOR THE CONVERSION AND RESTORATION.

 

---

more info:

www.nyc-architecture.com/UWS/UWS009.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythian_Temple_%28New_York_City%29

www.nycago.org/Organs/NYC/html/PythianTemple.html

 

922 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on December 28, 2010