Old Main Clock
Best seen on black: press L to view.
Old Main was built on the southwest corner of Warren and Cass avenues between 1894 and 1896. The building provides space for College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts departments of music, theatre, communication, the Maggie Allesee Department of Dance and the James Pearson Duffy Department of Art and Art History, as well as CFPCA's Elaine L. Jacob Gallery and Schaver Music Recital Hall. Old Main also houses the dean's office of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Department of Geology, the Museum of Anthropology, the university's planetarium and general classrooms. Old Main is a substantial piece of the history of education in the city of Detroit.