Fortress of Smederevo (Смедерево), Serbia
The Fortess of Smederevo (Latin: Semedria, Roman: Semendria, Turkish: Semendrine, Hungarian: Szendrő, German: Smederewo) is located on the right bank of the Danube. It was built by Durad Brankovic, a Serbian prince in the 15th century. It was the capital of Serbia between 1430-1439 when it was conquered by the Turkish.
The enormous border fortress was re-conquered and conquered by the Serbs, Hungarians and Turkish and was pivotal part of the defense system of these countries.
During the first Serbian uprising the city became the capital of Serbia once again in 1806.
Part of the defense system was demolished during the construction of the cargo railway terminal. The German troops used the fortress during WW2 to storage ammunition. There was an gigantic explosion in 1941 which destroyed some towers and killed thousand of citizens.
The interior of the fortress was a grassland during our visit. We even saw horses inside. The fortress seemed semi-abandoned. There was a ticket booth but nobody was inside. We met with anglers on the Danube bend. One of them told us that the fort sometimes is used for local celebrations.