The Old Churchyard, Lee
At the top of Belmont Hill, which runs downhill to Lewisham from the border with Blackheath, and which, technically, is in Lee, London SE12, this old graveyard on Lee Terrace (the road that runs along the top of the hill) is an unexpected delight, a perfectly formed little space across the road from St. Margaret's Church, which dates from 1841. The ruined tower is from an earlier incarnation of the church, dated 1814, which replaced an earlier medieval church but was not soundly constructed. The graveyard contains the tombs of the poet John Skelton (died 1529) and the astronomer Sir Edmund Halley (died 1742). Photo taken on May 11, 2012.
See the church here: www.flickr.com/photos/andyworthington/7895778148/in/photo...
For more on Andy Worthington, see: www.andyworthington.co.uk/