Whitley Bay 6 Wroxham 1 FA Vase Final
History as Bay clinch third Vase

Whitley Bay lift The Vase for the second successive year.

Whitley Bay became only the second team to win The FA Vase for a third time with a comprehensive 6-1 victory over Wroxham, and in the process striker Paul Chow scored the fastest goal in Wembley Stadium history.

With only 21 seconds on the clock, the ball was already in the back of the net as holders Bay were in front, and despite a swift response from Wroxham, the Northern League side never looked like reliquishing the trophy they lifted here 12 months earlier as they triumphed with a Vase-record margin. Chow's record-breaker got the game off to a flyer. It was a ball hoisted forward into the Wroxham area, which wasn't dealt with by skipper Graham Challen and 'keeper Scott Howie, and the forward, who scored in The Final a year ago, nipped into nod into the net.

Wroxham were stunned, but steadied themselves to draw level with 12 minutes gone. An inswinging free-kick from the right was flicked on by Paul Cook on the penalty spot. Bay stopper Terry Burke was able to block, but Cook reacted quicker to the rebound to slam home.

However, an own goal from Andy Eastaugh four minutes later put the Northern League outfit back in charge. Richard Hodgson's free-kick reached the far post where Leon Ryan was lurking. Eastaugh was there, though, to intercept, but the ball unluckily bounced off his left foot, across the goal and into the corner.

Chow almost extended Bay's lead in the last minute of the half, but his header from Damon Robson's outswinging corner was well-saved by Howie.

And just like the first half, Ian Chandler's side came out of the blocks much quicker than their Eastern Counties League opponents. Wroxham were forced into the half-time replacement of influential defender Martin McNeil, who was involved in a clash of heads with team mate Cook just before half time, and it didn't take long for Bay to capitalise. 52 seconds in and Lee Kerr, who was also on the score sheet a year ago, collected an Adam Johnston flick-on just outside the box and sent a delightful curling shot over the head of Howie to all but secure victory.

But more was to come.

Paul Robinson latched onto the end of a Kerr cross, cut inside and shot powerfully with his left foot. Howie was equal to it, though, parrying out for a corner. However, moments later it was 4-1. Chow was once again involved. With his back to goal, he turned his marker and drove towards Howie. The 'keeper dived to his left to save well, but Adam Johnston raced in to tuck the loose ball away.

Wroxham substitute Ross Durrant came close to pulling a goal back midway through the half, but his close-range header missed the target, and Burke was called into action again when Danny White had a pout shot, but Whitley Bay remained on top. Robinson and substitute Phil Bell linked up well on the edge of the area, butan Robinson couldn't make the most of the chance with just the 'keeper to beat.

Bell almost had one himself, too. With Wroxham piling forward, Bay broke away as Bell carried the ball into his opponents half. With Robinson and Robson both on support, Bell kept going and opted for the shot from 18 yards, which he pulled just wide.

With time running down, Whitley Bay sealed their place in Vase history with two late goals to clinch a record 6-1 Final scoreline. Robinson drove low from 15 yards past Howie, before substitute Josh Gillies capped a fine team display, slotting home from close-range.

Whitley Bay
Terry Burke, Craig McFarlane, Callum Anderson, Richard Hodgson (Lee Picton, 69), Darren Timmons, Leon Ryan(c), Adam Johnston (Josh Gillies, 77), Damon Robson, Lee Kerr, Paul Chow (Phil Bell, 62), Paul Robinson
Subs not used Tom Kindley,Chris Reid

Scott Howie, Gavin Pauling (Ross Durrant, 58), Shaun Howes, Graham Challen(c), Martin McNeil (Josh Carus, 46), Andy Eastaugh (Owen Paynter, 69), Steve Spriggs, Gavin Lemmon, Paul Cook, Danny White, Gary Gilmore
Subs not used Danny Self, Gareth Simpson

Attendance 8,920
473 photos · 560 views
1 3 4 5