'March of the Tripods', Nuneham Courtney
Flickrmeet very much in progress in this shot, with the 'march of the tripods' much in evidence!
The impressive Georgian church of All Saints next to Nuneham Courtney House has long ceased to be used for services and is currently vested in the Churches Conservation Trust.
Indeed it is almost impossible to imagine this bulding functioning as a parish church, having more the appearance of a family Mausoleum for the Harcourt family who formerly owned the estate.
There was a medieval church roughly on this site until 1762 when it was demolished and replaced by this building. All that now survives from the old church is an imposing (though sadly weathered) monument to the Pollard family c1577, oddly standing in the churchyard to the east of the present church under a protective structure.
Inside the church is impressively light and airy and contains much woodwork brought from elsewhere in the seating that runs the perimeter of the church, giving it a collegiate feel. Various monuments are dotted about, some of the later ones having been brought from the Victorian church in the village that was built to replace this one, but which now itself is redundant and converted to a mineral store by Oxford University (to whom the Harcourt Family sold the estate when they left it in 1948).