Heads of the Red Dragon
Detail of the seven-headed Red Dragon (Satan) from a scene of the Woman of the Apocalypse.
Detail of one of a sequence of newly recreated panels following nineteenth century originals, destroyed by wartime bombing.
Following the completion of the nave and west front of Cologne Cathedral in the late nineteenth century the ground floor windows of both west towers were glazed with fine stained glass incorporating various Biblical subjects in medallions on a geometric background.
During the massive Allied air attacks on Cologne from 1942 onwards this glass was mostly destroyed by bombing, being replaced by clear glass in the postwar restoration.
However the cartoons for the lost nineteenth century glass survived, enabling the team of the Cathedral's stained glass workshop to recreate the missing windows following the original design.
By 2007 only one window remained to be reinstalled above one of the main doors, and we were lucky enough to be able to see some of the superb component panels displayed in the cathedral workshop, prior to their installation high up in the cathedral.