Strobist: As key light, one Calumet/Elinchrom head high camera left, with 27" beauty dish and diffuser. Fill is a Calumet/Elinchrom head high camera right and slightly behind sitter shot through umbrella reflector.
43mm, f/13 for 1/125s @ISO100.
And now...thirteen things about this image.
1. The subject an artistic polymath -- she's a professional classical dancer and a practicing attorney
2. The image received virtually no Photoshopping. I just dropped the black level of the background.
3. This pose was an accident. The sitter was just "stretching out her shoulder blades"
4. This is frame number 120 of 1510 that were shot in this shoot.
5. This image was among the first I'd ever shot with controlled, studio lighting
6. I continue to be awed by the physical flexibility Jalila showed in shooting many of the shots in this set.
7. I shot this image in the living room of my apartment
8. This image was the one that made me sure that I could actually do this photography thing.
9. I've been trying to sell copies of this image, but no one seems to want to buy.
10. I get admonished that I should have taken this image in the horizontal orientation
11. The first words out of my mouth when I saw this image on my computer screen was "holy shit!"
12. This is one of my most popular images on Flickr. And everywhere else for that matter....
13. The coolest part of this image (for me, at least) is that Jalila's locks are naturally the same color as her skintone. Amazing!