Gibbet Mill Rye
Gibbet Mill, Tillingham Mill, Barry's Mill or New Mill
A mill has stood on this site since 1596, and a post mill is known to have been built here in 1758. Gibbet Mill was built in 1824, the name Barry's mill coming from an early miller. The mill was working by wind until 1912, and was used as a bakery until 13 June 1930 when it was burnt down. The New Mill was erected in 1932, Neve's of Heathfield being responsible for the millwrighting work.
As built, Gibbett Mill was a four storey smock mill on a single storey brick base, with a stage at first floor level. In 1844 she had four Patent sails but latterly was worked with four Spring sails. These were carried in a cast iron Windshaft. The cap was in the Kentish style, winded by a fantail. The mill drove three pairs of millstones.
The replica mill has a shorter smock, making the mill appear squatter than the original. The cap is exaggerated in height and is not designed to turn into the wind. Replica sails and fantail are carried. The reconstructed stage is wider than the original.