Russell-Cotes Mausoleum, Wimborne Road Cemetery, Rush Corner / Cemetery Junction, Bournemouth, Dorset
A mausoleum of c1900 built in Portland stone, using large blocks of rock-faced rustication, with a pitched roof. It has a rectangular, single room plan.

EXTERIOR: The east front, enclosed by a rendered stone wall with a central decorative gate with flower detail, has a large round arched doorway. Its stone surround is carved with the inscription: `The eternal God is thy refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms'. The oversized keystone above the doorway is carved with the Russell-Cotes' family coat of arms. The rear gable end has a stained glass rose window.

INTERIOR: The entire barrel vaulted ceiling and walls are covered in mosaics showing the famous umbrella pines of Bournemouth and in the corners are two niches with the busts of Lord and Lady Russell-Cotes. The mosaic under the rose window containing abstract coloured glass, includes the words: "Looking unto Jesus" "In the hope of eternal life".

HISTORY: The Mausoleum, designed by John F Fogerty (1863-1939), a local architect, commemorates Sir Merton Russell-Cotes (1835-1921) and his wife Lady Annie Nelson Russell-Cotes (1835-1920). Sir Merton, the son of an industrialist, studied medicine and subsequently undertook various business ventures, before making a notable career within Scottish Amicable Life Insurance Society. Lady Annie, whom he married in 1860, was from a wealthy family of cotton-spinners. After his marriage he moved to Bournemouth for health reasons. He became an active local politician, and was very influential in the development of Bournemouth as a seaside resort. He held various positions, including in 1894/5 Mayor of Bournemouth and Justice of the Peace. The mausoleum's architect, John F Fogerty, ran an architectural practice in Bournemouth from 1892 until 1914, when he left for South Africa. In 1894 he designed East Cliff Hall, Sir Merton's former home, which included an art gallery. The Russell-Cotes donated their residence to Bournemouth to be used as a local museum, and they paid for an extension to be added in 1919. It is now known as the Russell-Cotes Museum (listed at Grade II*).

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Russell-Cotes Mausoleum at Wimborne Road Cemetery in Bournemouth is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It is a good example of an early C20 mausoleum, displaying good quality architectural detailing.
* It has an exquisite Arts and Crafts movement scheme of interior decoration redolent with symbolist motifs.
* It commemorates an important and influential family in Edwardian Bournemouth.
* It forms an important feature within a nationally important cemetery landscape.
* It forms part of an interesting group of cemetery buildings and structures, which together make an important contribution to the understanding of both Victorian and Edwardian funerary and mourning customs.
13 photos · 168 views