Albright-Knox Art Gallery > Collections > The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy - The Early Years

The new organization opened and inaugurated its first gallery in the rented loft of the Arcade Building on December 23, 1862. Millard Fillmore presided, Henry W. Rogers delivered the address, Anson G. Chester read a poem, and Poppenberg's Band furnished music. The outstanding works shown, included Albert Bierstadt's The Marina Piccola, Capri, 1859, which was later presented by the artist to the Academy.