new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
1883 tweddle fire | by albany group archive
Back to photostream

1883 tweddle fire

The Tweddle Building, northwest corner of State and Pearl, 1897, on the former site of Elm Tree Corner and Webster's Corner. You can see several businesses, such as Dr. Vineberg, Optician on the corner, Sautter Druggist, 8 North Pearl, and Whittle Brothers florists, 10 North Pearl. The original building was built in 1860, and housed a concert hall on the upper floors. After a major fire in 1883, it was reconstructed minus the concert hall. In 1899, the corner section was demolished and the new Ten Eyck Hotel built in its place. The Ten Eyck expanded in 1915, buying and razing what remained of the Tweddle Building. The Ten Eyck was torn down in 1971 and replaced by a nondescript modern structure that now houses a Citizens Bank and a Starbucks. Photo is after the 1883 fire that destroyed it. Pruyn Collection, Albany Public Library.

784 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on June 2, 2017