Dunn Memorial Bridge 1969 Albany NY 1960s
Foundations to the Hudson Navigation Company that burned January, 1947 are clearly visible at river’s edge adjacent the western most support of the new Dunn Memorial Bridge under construction on the Hudson River. A small construction workers’ foot bridge crosses over to the surrounding caisson. That area had been known as Steamboat Square. The original Dunn Memorial Bridge is in the foreground. At the top the large building is Central Warehouse just to the left of the Livingston Avenue Bridge no longer used by the railroad then and left open to river traffic. A barge has just passed beneath the Maiden Lane Railroad Bridge further south. Union Station, the Post Office Building and the D & H Building are to its left. The dark snake-like feature running from the Central Warehouse area to the bottom is the D & H Railroad. To the left of the original Dunn Memorial Bridge is St. John’s Church, the four silos visible belong to the Barber & Bennett Grain and Seed Factory. The large white structure at the bottom is the Albany Hardware & Iron Building.