Halifax Public Gardens
The Halifax Public Gardens were founded by the Nova Scotia Horticultural Society on this site in 1841. It did not consist of more than flower beds and vegetables for its first few decades. It was not until the City of Halifax directed land on the north side of the existing garden to be laid out with flower beds that the Public Gardens undertook a more formal structure. In 1867, the year that Canada was formed as a Dominion, the Public Gardens were opened by the Chief Justice of the province of Nova Scotia.