new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Estación Retiro | by Corwin's Trumps
Back to album

Estación Retiro

British-designed Estación Retiro was one of the largest train stations in the world when it opened in 1915. Most of the trains running out of this station run short distances and do not go very far afield; however, back in the day it served destinations such as Córdoba and Salta. Up until the 1940s, most of the major railways were British owned. After Juan Peron came to power, he nationalized the railways at a huge expense to the Argentine treasury. Afterwards, the Argentine rail system began a long and significant decline, probably because there wasn’t anything left in the budget to actually operate the trains.

509 views
3 faves
5 comments
Taken on October 24, 2008